Prague December 2003

December 5, 2003 – December 8, 2003

SURPIRSE!!!!!!!!! SURPIRSE!!!!!!!!! SURPIRSE!!!!!!!!! SURPIRSE!!!!!!!!!

I surprised Satcha with a trip to Prague for his 30th birthday!!!!

We got home from work on Friday, December 5 and I told Satcha to pack a bag because we were going away for the weekend. He asked me what type of clothes he needed to pack. I had checked the Prague weather during the day, and from what I saw it was around the same temperature in Bilbao, so I told him he would need clothes similar to what he was wearing in Bilbao at that time (the weather on December 5 in the Bilbao area was about 11ºC/52ºF).

We went down to have a Coca-Cola in the bar below our house and that’s where I gave Satcha the city guide for Prague and he knew where we were going. A taxi came to pick us up and take us to the airport.

The flight was delayed 1 hour, from 10:05pm to 11:05pm. We arrived in Prague around 1:30am. We had arranged to take a shared transportation from the airport to the hotel, so after dropping others off, we finally arrived to our hotel around 3:30am. We checked in to the hotel and went to bed so that we could get up in the morning and start the sightseeing.

Since I had told Satcha that the weather where we were going was similar to Bilbao, we each had only brought a winter jacket and scarf. We didn’t bring gloves or hats or come prepared at all for the weather in Prague. During the days we were there the temperature was between -2ºC/28ºF – 5ºC/41ºF. It was a different kind of cold than Bilbao….it was freezing!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite the cold weather we walked around Prague the whole weekend. We saw everything and twice!!! I loved Prague!!!! I think it’s the most beautiful European city that I’ve been to. Prague has something magical and charming about it. I think that it also was the fact that it was cold and the city was decorated for Christmas. Although it was really cold and we were freezing, I think it made the experience more fun (I don’t know if Satcha agrees with that!!!! I think he’d have preferred to have his hat and gloves with him!!!).

Some of the places we visited were:
  • National museum
  • Prague Castle
  • St. Vitus Cathedral
  • Golden Lane – where I was as tall as the passageways into the houses
  • Charles Bridge – where we touched St. John Nepomuk statue to have our wishes come true. We also climbed the bridge tower
  • Old Town Square
  • Town Hall
  • Astronomic Clock – we also climbed the clock tower
  • Jewish Quarter
  • Observation Tower on Petrin
  • Pendulum
  • Hot wine stands - these stands sell hot wine to drink. It's a very differnt taste!!!


0 comments: